A hearty rich soup, perfect for those cooler days. Add some crusty Italian bread, a crisp green mixed salad and some fruit for dessert to create a complete meal. To vary this soup, you can add two cups of chopped canned tomatoes for two cups of the beef broth. This soup freezes well so consider making a double batch and freezing half in individual serving sized containers. It really is worth the effort to make your own Rich Beef Broth for this soup. To make things a little easier, make the broth ahead of time and freeze it.
Deborah Mele 2011
Beef Barley Soup
A traditional favorite family recipe. Homemade beef stock makes all the difference in this soup.
- 8 Cups Of Rich Beef Broth (Retain The Meat From The Beef & Veal Bones Used In The Both)
- 2 Carrots Finely Diced
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Diced
- 2 Stalks Celery, Finely Diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Pearl Barley
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat the broth and add the carrots, onions, celery and the barley.
- Cook for about 25 to 35 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- Add the reserved pieces of beef, chopped into small pieces, and chopped parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, topped with a little drizzle of olive oil and grated cheese.