Roasting tomatoes in this manner caramelizes them, enriching their flavor. These tomatoes can be used in sauces, soups, to top bruschetta or even on salads.
Use fresh, ripe, flavorful tomatoes for the best results. You can use all red or a mixture of both red and yellow tomatoes, and plum tomatoes and cherry tomatoes both work really well.
- 10 To 15 Ripe Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Fresh Thyme (Or Herb Of Choice)
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Halve the tomatoes, and place skin side down on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle over them the garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and place in the oven.
- Bake for about two hours or until they have shriveled yet still remain moist.
- Cool, and use as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g