I have been roasting vegetables in this manner for over 20 years, and although I often eat the vegetables on their own, they are also delicious used as a pasta sauce as in this recipe. Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sugars and really enhances their flavor. The sauce is finished with a little balsamic vinegar, and tangy goat cheese which brings all the tastes to a whole new level. I used Barilla Plus penne pasta in this recipe, but you could choose any short dried pasta shape. These vegetables are also great folded into an omlette, or served at room temperature on top of dressed salad greens.
Variation: If you really feel the need for meat with this pasta, consider adding 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. You could also add 1 1/2 cups warm tomato sauce to the vegatable mixture for a change.
Deborah Mele 2011
Roasted Vegetable Pasta With Goat Cheese
Roasting vegetables in this manner caramelizes them making them very sweet.
- 2 Cups Zucchini Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 2 Cups Eggplant Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 1 Large Red Pepper, Cored And Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 1 Medium Red Onion, Peeled And Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 2 Portabello Mushroom Caps Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled & Sliced
- 4 Plum Tomatoes, Quartered
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Basil
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Balsmamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Ounces Soft Goat Cheese
- Additional Crumbled Goat Cheese
- Chopped Fresh Basil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss all of the vegetables together with the olive oil and seasonings and spread onto a large baking sheet.
- Roast the vegetables for 25 minutes or until fork tender and lightly browned.
- Cool the vegetables and heat a large pot of salted water for the pasta.
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente and drain, reserving a half cup of the pasta water.
- Mix the sauce ingredients into the pasta with the vegetables and stir to mix well, adding a little pasta water if the mixture seems a little dry.
- Divide into individual bowls topped with a little crumbled goat cheese and shredded basil.