Another traditional nut paste cookie made with ground almonds, this version has a soft, chewy center.
Deborah Mele 2011
An amaretti cookie with a soft center.
- 2 Cups Blanched Almonds
- 1 Cup Superfine Or Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 Egg Whites
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- Grind the almond to a fine powder with the sugar in a food processor.
- Add the almond extract to the almonds.
- Slowly add the egg whites, one at a time until the dough comes together.
- Use only as much of the egg whites as it takes to moisten the dough.
- Using moist hands, take small pieces and form into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Place these on a parchment or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Bake the cookies for about 25 to 30 minutes. or until lightly golden in color.
- Let cool thoroughly, and store in airtight containers.