One of my favorite lunches is insalata caprese, or a salad of fresh tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and basil. Unfortunately, it is often difficult to obtain fresh, ripe, good tasting tomatoes during the winter so I came up with this version using roasted tomatoes. This dish makes a really delicious light lunch, an appetizer, or if arranged on a platter a great addition to any buffet table. You could also serve this salad on top of salad greens lightly dressed with oil and lemon.
Deborah Mele 2011
Winter Insalata Caprese
Roasted tomatoes replace fresh ones when out of season in this Italian classic salad.
- 2 Large Balls Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella (Or Fresh Mozzarella)
- 12 Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/8 Cup Pesto Sauce
- 1/8 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil Cured Olives
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cut the mozzarella into wedges.
- Slice each of the roasted tomates in half.
- Arrange the mozzarella and tomatoes on 4 individual plates as shown in the photo.
- Mix together the olive oil and pesto in a bowl and drizzle this mixture over each plate.
- Garnish with the olives and basil leaves and serve.