A tasty salad mixing peppery arugula, sweet roasted beets, and goat cheese crumbles that is almost as pretty as it is delicious! I used a mix of golden and red beets in the salad I photographed, but you can certainly use all red beets if you cannot find golden beets. I like to use white balsamic vinegar in this recipe as it has a milder flavor than the darker variety, and will not change the color of my golden beets.
Roasting beets brings out their natural sweetness, mixing well with the white balsamic dressing and goat cheese crumbles. Although very easy to prepare, this dish is great to begin a special holiday dinner, or for entertaining. You can experiment with the salad by changing the dressing ingredients, trying other herbs, or using your favorite salad greens instead of the arugula used in my version. I have also made this recipe by using half white balsamic vinegar, and half blood orange juice. Very tasty!
Deborah Mele 2011
Fall Harvest Salad
Roasted beets and goat cheese bring added interest to this tasty fall influenced salad.
- 4 Medium Small Sized Beets
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Oz. Log Semi Soft Goat Cheese
- 4 Cups Baby Arugula
- 1 Small Red Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 5 Tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- Salt And Pepper
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. F.
- Place the beets in a shallow baking dish, and pour over half the olive oil.
- Roll the beets to coat, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake until fork tender, about an hour and thirty minutes.
- Remove from the oven to cool.
- Once cool, skin the beets, and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Assemble the salad by dividing the greens between four salad plates.
- Arrange the beet slices and onion slices attractively on top.
- Mix the dressing once again, and drizzle just enough on each plate to lightly coat.
- Crumble the goat cheese, and garnish each plate with the goat cheese crumbles.