This risotto is perfect each spring as the new vegetables arrive in the store. You can vary the recipe as you choose by adding other spring vegetables from time to time as well. Just keep all vegetables cut into bite sized pieces.
Deborah Mele 2011
A celebration of spring vegetables in a bowl of risotto!
- 6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter Plus 2 Tbsp Removed To Finish The Dish
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Large Clove Of Garlic
- 2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Fresh, Shelled Fava Beans
- 6 Small To Medium Artichokes, Cleaned And Thinly Sliced
- 6 Spears Fresh Asparagus Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 1 Small Zucchini, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Fresh, Chopped Parsley or Other Fresh Herb Of Choice
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Heat the 4 tablespoons of butter in a heavy saucepan, then add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the artichoke slices and cook one minute.
- Next add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the rice and stir until it is well coated with the butter.
- Begin to add the wine, and stir continually over medium heat until it is absorbed.
- Start to add 1/2 cup of hot broth, stirring as it is absorbed.
- Continue in this manner, adding ladles full of hot broth, and stirring continuously.
- About 10 minutes into the cooking time, add the asparagus, fava beans and zucchini and continue cooking for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked, but remains slightly firm to the teeth.
- Remove from the heat, add the remaining butter, parsley and the parmesan cheese.
- Serve, offering additional cheese if desired.