The combination of the green arugula pesto and red sweet cherry tomatoes in this recipe is very pretty to look at, as well as being a great contrast in flavors. This pasta has a great fresh, peppery taste which is why it is one of my favorite pasta dishes to make this year. This is a very easy, yet elegant pasta I have often made for guests. You could use basil, parsley or a combination of the two instead of the arugula as well.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves - Finely Chopped
- 3-4 Cups Fresh, Washed Arugula, or about 2 Bunches
- Salt & Pepper - To Taste
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1/2 Cups Ripe Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1 Pound Bow Tie Pasta
- Extra Grated Parmesan Cheese For Serving If Desired
- In a food processor, combine the garlic, arugula, half the pine nuts and the oil and process until finely chopped.
- Add the grated Parmesan, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes if desired, and pulse.
- Adding just a few tablespoons at a time drizzle in the chicken broth until the sauce is thick and emulsified. (You shouldn't need too much of the broth.)
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente.
- Drain, reserving a small amount of the pasta water in a cup.
- In the pasta pot, combine the hot pasta, arugula sauce, the cherry tomatoes and the remaining pine nuts.
- Cook briefly over medium heat until well mixed, adding just a little of the reserved pasta water if it seems dry.
- Serve hot, topped with shaved or grated parmesan cheese if desired.