Beets are delicious when prepared properly and although they can now be found year round, they are at their best between late June and October. This recipe combines beets with oven baked red onions which enhances the natural sweetness of this delicious root vegetable. I used a mix of golden and red beets, but you could simply use all red bets if that is what is available in your area.
Deborah Mele 2011
Sweet And Sour Roasted Beets And Onions
A great side dish for roasted meats, or to be used on an antipasti platter.
- 6 Medium Beets
- 2 Medium Red Onions (Leave Whole With Skins On)
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Teaspoons Capers
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees F.
- Wash the beets and place beets and onions in a casserole dish.
- Cover, and bake until fork tender 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Peel the beets and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Peel the onions, and cut into 1/3 inch slices.
- Mix together the beets and onions in a serving bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl until well blended.
- Pour the dressing onto the beets and toss until mixed.
- Serve at room temperature.