I love pureed vegetable soups, and I wanted to make a squash soup that was not too sweet. I decided to flavor the chicken broth with a touch of smoked chili pepper which added a little smokiness as well as a little heat. This soup freezes well, and you can use your choice of garnish from chopped fresh herbs, to a dollop of cream, or perhaps some crisp croutons. The amount of chicken broth you use depends on how large your squash is, as well as how thick or thin you prefer your soup. This soup is really quite healthy as it is creamy without the use of any cream. The soup is photographed in a ceramic bowl from Deruta, Italy.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 6 Cups Diced Butternut Squash (1 Large)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Smoked Chili Pepper (Chipotle Peppers Work Well)
- Salt And Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds.
- Cook the squash by either roasting at 350 degrees F. in the oven until fork tender, or by microwaving it.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Heat the chicken broth in a sauce pan and add the chili, and simmer on low until needed.
- Cut the onion and garlic into small dice, and saute in the butter until tender and soft.
- Scoop out the pulp from the squash and place it into a food processor along with the onions and garlic, and half of the chicken broth.
- Puree until smooth, adding additional broth as needed. (If you like your food a bit on the spicy side, you can cut the chili in half and add it as well into the food processor to be blended.)
- Once you have a smooth mixture, return the squash to a saucepan and keep warm.
- Season your soup with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Some people prefer a little more cinnamon than I have indicated, but I find it tastes too much like pumpkin pie if more is added.
- Serve the soup warm, with your garnish of choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 827mg Carbohydrates: 39g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 10g Protein: 5g