This is a dish that is popular across central Italy when the grapes are being harvested and the workers need a dish that is easy to put together yet hearty. My husband and I developed a whole new appreciation for sausages when we stayed in Umbria this past winter and I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. Although this dish is simple to put together, the combination of the grapes cooked with the sausages is quite unique and certainly delicious. I served my sausages with a side of smashed roasted garlic potatoes as shown in the photo.Buon
Deborah Mele 2011
A traditional Tuscan recipe made during the grape harvest.
- 1 Onion, Peeled And Coarsely Chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, Chopped
- 8 Top Quality Mild Italian Sausages
- 8 Ounces Seedless Red Grapes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, then place the onion and celery in the bottom of an oven-proof casserole, and lay the sausages on top.
- Place the grapes around the sausages, and season everything with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and wine, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn the sausages, and then return to the oven and cook an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.