I generally always have some type of crunchy, not too sweet type of cookie in the biscotti jar that sits on our countertop so when we are craving something there is something available. My husband prefers a nutty biscotti, a crisp twice baked type, so those are the types of cookies I seem to bake most often. For this version, I decided to create a little healthier version by adding some whole grain flour without any added fat which makes an even crisper type of biscotti that is ideal for dipping into my mid-morning cappuccino. This biscotti is not too sweet, and the addition of a small amount of cornmeal along with the almonds adds additional crunch that is very satisfying.
Deborah Mele 2011
Ginger Orange Biscotti With Almonds
This biscotti is not too sweet, and the addition of a small amount of cornmeal along with the almonds adds additional crunch that is very satisfying.
- 1 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup White Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large Whole Eggs
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 3 Teaspoons Orange Juice
- 3 Teaspoons Grated Orange Zest
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Blanched Almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or lightly grease with butter.
- Mix together the flours, sugar, cornmeal, ginger, baking powder & soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, orange juice, and orange zest in a separate bowl.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Stir in the almonds, and with damp hands, shape the dough into a large log and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and the top is firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Use a serrated knife and cut the log into 1/2 inch slices and arrange side by side lying flat on the baking sheet.
- Return to the oven and bake 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn the biscotti over and cook an additional 10 minutes until light golden brown.
- Do not over bake as cookies will crisp as they cool.
- Store biscotti in an airtight container once cooled.