Just before Valentine’s day I had an urge to bake something pink. Now I am not usually a cupcake kind of baker, and in fact I normally would prefer quick breads, or rustics tarts or cakes, but I just wanted to bake something pretty for a change. I adapted this recipe from one I found from Martha Stewart that apparently originated from Sprinkles Cupcakes, and simply added my own favorite frosting made with cream cheese and flavored it with strawberry puree. Although I love fresh strawberries, I normally do not care for strawberry flavored foods such as ice cream, so it was a bit of a stretch for my taste buds but the idea of these cupcakes somehow appealed to me.
I actually cut this recipe in half because I am presently attempting to watch what I eat, and didn’t want a dozen cupcakes sitting around the house tempting me, but I am posting the entire recipe for you. As well as as being really pretty to look at, these cupcakes tasted even better than I expected and may have just converted me to all things strawberry! I used frozen strawberries for my version because I had them in my freezer, but fresh would be wonderful if you have them. To create the needed puree from frozen strawberries, simply thaw for 10 to 15 minutes and puree in a food processor.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 2/3 Cup Strawberry Puree (Fresh or Frozen)
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Dash Of Salt
- 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Stick Unsalted, Softened Butter
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
For The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted, Softened Butter
- 1 (8 Ounce) Package Cream Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Strawberry Puree
- 3 to 4 Cups Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place paper muffin liners in a 12 piece cupcake pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree.
- Add half the sifted flour mixture and mix on low speed.
- Add the remaining flour and continue to mix until blended.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 cupcake liners and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in a center cupcake comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add 1/3 cup of the the strawberry puree, and begin to add the icing sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!