This delicious simple salad epitomizes exactly why Italian cuisine is so appreciated worldwide. You can take a single ingredient such as fresh, small baby zucchini, and by adding a few flavorings you end up with a tasty, crisp salad anyone would enjoy. Of course to get the very best results you need to start with the best of ingredients such as very young, small zucchini, fresh lemon juice and zest, a good quality extra virgin olive oil, cracked black pepper and of course sea salt. The sea salt and cracked pepper really bring this salad to life!
A mandolin slicer is a great tool to have for dishes such as this one, but a very sharp chef’s knife will work just fine. Do not marinate the zucchini longer than 30 minutes before serving as they will not retain their crispness after that point. Shaved Parmesan or Pecorino cheese can also be tossed on top of the prepared zucchini before serving if desired. You can also replace the zucchini with fresh, cleaned artichokes or fresh mushrooms and create an entirely new salad.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 3-4 Small, Baby Zucchini, Thinly Sliced
- Juice & Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Fresh Parsley Leaves To Garnish
- Mix together the lemon juice, zest and olive oil.
- Place the sliced zucchini in a bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Arrange the zucchini on 4 individual plates or one large platter and drizzle on any remaining dressing.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Garnish with the parsley leaves and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g