Rigatoni Campagnolo ~ This pasta is a family favorite, first tasted at a popular Italian chain restaurant. Every time we went there, my husband would order this pasta, so I decided I needed to create my own version at home. The sauce is simply a zesty tomato based sauce to which slices of sausage, chopped onions, and roasted peppers are added. If you like your foods spicy choose a hot Italian sausage. I have also used Italian sausage made with turkey which was just as tasty. To serve, a good sized slice of creamy goat cheese is placed on top of the piping hot pasta which you stir into the sauce yourself. Delicious!
Deborah Mele 2011
A family favorite, goat cheese adds a tangy creaminess to this pasta dish.
- 2 Red Peppers, Cored, Seeded & Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 1 Small Red Onion, Peeled & Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled And Minced
- 4 Links Italian Sausage (Hot or Mild)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 (28 oz) Can Imported Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh, Chopped Basil
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 1 (4 Ounce) Package Goat Cheese, Cut Into 4 Slices
- 1 Pound Rigatoni Pasta
- In a heavy saucepan, add the olive oil, and then brown the sausage links well on all sides over medium heat.
- Remove from the pot, and slice the sausages into 1/3 inch slices.
- Add the onions, and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic, and cook an additional minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes if using and mix well, then add the sausages to the sauce.
- Continue to cook for about 20 minutes over low heat, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the red pepper to the sauce and keep it warm while you cook the pasta.
- Cook the pasta until it is “al dente”, and then drain.
- Mix the pasta with the warm sauce.
- Serve in individual bowls, with a slice of goat cheese on top.