This soup is a family favorite in my house, and I think I’ve been making this hearty soup for at least 20 years and my family never gets tired of it. It is a great soup to make ahead and freeze which I do often. Being so hearty, all you need to make a complete meal is a nice salad and some crusty bread. I like to garnish my soup with chopped green onions, but my husband likes his with a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt.
Deborah Mele 2011
White Bean Chicken Soup
A soup so hearty it is a complete meal in a bowl.
- 3 Boneless Chicken Breasts, Skin Removed, Cut Into 1 1/2 Inch Pieces
- 3 Stalks Of Celery, Chopped
- 2 Large Carrots, Chopped
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 to 5 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Bunch Fresh, Chopped Parsley
- 1 Hot Chile Pepper, Finely Chopped (Optional)
- 3 Cups Cooked Cannellini Beans (Or Other White Beans)
- 1/4 To 1/3 Cup Instant Polenta
- Salt & Pepper
- In a heavy pot, heat the oil, and then once it is hot, add the chicken pieces, and cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl, and add the vegetables to the pot, and cook until they are just beginning to soften.
- Add the broth, and seasonings, and cook for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Add the chicken, beans, and parsley, and taste.
- Adjust the seasonings as needed, and cook then add 1/4 cup of the polenta to thicken.
- Continue to cook, stirring often, until the soup has thickened, adding a little more polenta if needed.
- Serve hot with garnish of choice.