Green Beans With Peppers
There are many vegetables that are available year round, but green beans are one vegetable that always seems to be available fresh in our stores, is very versatile and easy to prepare. When I am looking for a quick green side dish to round out my menu, I often choose green beans, though I often prepare them differently. I first blanch my beans in boiling water, drain them, and then drop them into ice water which keeps them crisp and bright green. Just before I want to serve the beans, I heat up a little olive oil with my seasonings of choice, then toss the beans into the oil to flavor them and heat them up. I actually like my beans at room temperature, so I frequently prepare my beans completely ahead of time which makes meal planning just a little bit easier.
Deborah Mele 2011
Green Beans With Peppers
A quick to prepare, colorful side dish that is great year round.
- 1 Pound Green Beans
- 1 Sweet Red Pepper
- 1 Sweet Yellow Pepper
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Finely Sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
- Sea Salt
- Zest From 1 Lemon
- Trim the beans on each end, and then core the peppers, removing the seeds and membranes, and slice thinly.
- Cook the beans and pepper strips in salted boiling water until tender crisp.
- Drain, and drop the vegetables in a bowl of ice water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain beans and dry well.
- In a wide bottomed pan, heat the olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the garlic and cook just until sizzling, then add the beans and peppers.
- Cook for a minute or two unto the beans are flavored with the oil mixture and are warm.
- Add the lemon zest and fresh thyme and toss to mix well.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
The colour of this dish is so vibrant and just begging to be eaten. Green beans are a long time favourite in our household and I am always looking for ways to add flavour to them instead of just plainly steamed.
The beans and peppers look so delicious. I can’t wait to try it. For some reason, I am not usually successful in the preparation of green beans (overcooked in steaming). Hope I am able to make mine as good as yours look.
Here is a trick for green beans – put in a big pot of cold water. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. It works for me every time.
Wonderful colour and flavour, this will become one of my go to favourites, so easy to prepare