I have been experimenting with different raw vegetable salads recently, trying out new combinations of vegetables of every description in order to create great texture and flavor. We love kale prepared any way possible, so it wasn’t a great leap to imagine kale would be great in a salad. Because kale leaves are somewhat tough, I found it best to slice the kale thinly as you would cabbage in a cole slaw. I also found that Tuscan kale, or dinosaur kale works best in this salad as it is more tender and has a little sweeter flavor than the curly variety. Because I like my salads colorful, I added red cabbage, julienned carrots and red peppers, green onions, and fresh herbs. This is not probably not a salad for those who think that a salad should be iceberg lettuce topped with a hot house tomato, but if you are an adventurous eater and love vegetables than you’ll enjoy this healthy salad I’m sure!
For my dressing I used cider vinegar with half avocado oil and half olive oil with just a little mustard. My husband loves salads like this one that are hearty and full of flavor, and best of all very healthy for you too!
Deborah Mele 2011
Kale & Red Cabbage Salad
A healthy raw salad made with kale, red cabbage & other veggies.
- 4 Cups Thinly Sliced Kale (See Notes Above)
- 2 Cups Thinly Sliced Red Cabbage
- 1 Cup Julienned Carrot
- 1 Cup Julienned Sweet Red Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Green Onions
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Herbs (Parsley Leaves, Small Basil Leaves, Mint Leaves)
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Sliced Toasted Almonds
- Dried Cranberries
- Sunflower Seeds
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until well blended.
- In a large bowl, toss together the salad ingredients and then pour on half the dressing.
- Taste, and add as much additional dressing as is needed for your personal preference.
- Top the salad with any topping ingredients of choice and serve.
Adapted from WholeLiving.com