I recently made fresh ricotta for my Stuffed Spinach & Ricotta Manicotti and had some left over that I wanted to use up while it was still fresh. I decided to make a healthy breakfast cake using oat flour as I am working hard to integrate healthy grains into many of my recipes. I used half all-purpose flour and half oat flour and I really loved the final texture of the cake. It was a little coarse textured from the oat flour but nice and moist, perfect for a breakfast cake! We always have huge bags of mixed berries in our freezer and I decided to use these as my fruit of choice. You could use other fruits as well including diced apples, pears, or peaches instead for an entirely different taste. I topped my cake with additional berries, a sprinkling of dark brown sugar, and some finely chopped walnuts for texture, but feel free to skip the walnuts if you are concerned about nut allergies. If you cannot find oat flour, simply grind regular oats until very fine and use this instead.
Deborah Mele 2012
- 3/4 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Oat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Fat Free Yogurt
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Frozen Mixed Berries Divided
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease a 9 inch square or round baking dish. (I used a fluted round)
- Stir together the dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta, yogurt, eggs, lemon zest, melted butter, and vanilla until blended well.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until mixed.
- Stir in half the mixed berries.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, then top with the remaining berries, pressing them half into the batter with your finger tips.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and walnuts on top, then bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake is firm to the touch.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.