This is healthy dip or spread recipe that I decided to try out over the holidays that highlights fennel. I wasn’t really sure how this dip would turn out as the ingredient list is pretty short and to be honest, although I love fennel, I wasn’t convinced that roasted fennel as the primary ingredient could add enough flavor to create a delicious dip. I tweaked the dip just a bit and the final result was really very tasty after all. If you do not care for cooked fennel, than you probably are not going to be crazy about this dip, but those of us who love fennel, particularly roasted, caramelized fennel, found the dip unique and very enjoyable. I served my spread with some grilled slices of multigrain baguette bread to slather the warm spread on although I think multi grain pita chips could also be used to scoop up the tasty dip.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 3 Medium Sized Fennel Bulbs, Trimmed & Cut Into 1 Inch Wedges
- 1 Small, Sweet Onion, Peeled & Cut Into 1 Inch Wedges
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Multigrain Baguette, Sliced & Grilled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the fennel, onion and garlic with the olive oil and place in an oven-proof roasting dish.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are fork tender and lightly browned.
- Place the vegetables into a food processor along with the grated cheese and pulse until fairly smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in a small oven-proof baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the additional 2 tablespoons of grated cheese and cracked pepper and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, first preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and then bake until hot and bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm along with slices of grilled bread.