We arrived back in Umbria Sunday, and I had my kitchen back together within a couple of hours. We have a lovely ceramic cookie jar from Deruta that I keep stocked with cookies for my husband that was sitting empty and needed filling so I got busy yesterday baking cookies. I usually make some type of biscotti as that is my husband’s cookie of choice, but I decided to try something different and made these unique amaretti type of cookies that are flavored with coffee. Almonds and coffee are a good flavor combination as I’ve learned in the past, so I knew the cookies would be tasty, and in fact they are. A perfect bite sized treat with a cup of espresso! If the dough is a little sticky when rolling into balls, simply wet your hands with a little water as needed.
Deborah Mele 2012
Espresso Almond Bites
A tasty combination of coffee & almonds in a bite sized cookie.
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Espresso Coffee
- 3 Teaspoons Boiling Water
- 3 Cups (or 360 grams) Almond Meal
- 1 Cup (or 220 grams) Sugar
- 3 Egg Whites (From Large Eggs), Lightly Beaten
- Whole Coffee Beans For Garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease two baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, mix the coffee with the water.
- In a bowl, mix together the almond meal, coffee, sugar, and egg whites to form a paste.
- Roll the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on the baking sheets, topping each with one espresso bean.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch and golden brown on the bottom.
- Cool & store in an airtight container.