I was browsing through America’s Test Kitchen recently when I saw a recipe for stuffed mushrooms where they baked the mushroom caps first on their own to release the excess liquid. They then stuffed the caps with a tasty stuffing and baked it just enough to heat the filling and crisp the top. I had a new stuffed mushroom recipe I wanted to try so I didn’t use the recipe from America’s Test Kitchen, but I did try out their method for cooking the mushrooms first which worked out perfectly. The filling I wanted to try out for fall includes chestnuts, sausage, cheese, and cheese. When buying mushrooms to stuff, make sure you buy them quite large because they will shrink a lot as they cook. I often make stuffed mushrooms for our wine tasting evenings with guests because I can make them ahead of time, then cook them just before serving.
Deborah Mele 2013
- 8 Large Mushrooms
- 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Divided
- 2 Italian Sausage Links, Removed From Casings
- 1 Small Onion, Peeled & Finely Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled & Minced
- 1/2 Cup Canned Or Jarred Chestnuts, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Coarse Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 3 Tablespoons Marsala Wine
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Grated Pecorino Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and wipe the caps with a damp cloth.
- Toss the caps with half the olive oil to lightly coat.
- Lay the caps open end down on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then turn over and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drain off any liquid.
- Trim the mushroom stalks, and dice finely and measure out 1/2 cup.
- In a heavy skillet, cook the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks with two forks.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, onions, garlic, and chestnuts and cook until the onion is soft.
- Add the marsala wine and cook until it is absorbed, then add the breadcrumbs, thyme and rosemary, and stir to mix well.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Fill the mushroom caps, piling it into the cavity.
- Bake for another 15 or 20 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 caps
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g