After living in Italy for as many years as we have, when it comes to dining out, I tend to avoid choosing Italian restaurants here in North America. It isn’t that all these restaurants are all bad, but I find many of the dishes are too “Americanized” and have lost their natural original simplicity, and end up with too many added ingredients that really do not need to be there, and the portions are almost always too large. A new restaurant recently opened called Osteria Tulia that has gotten rave reviews so we decided that we would give it a try. The restaurant was packed the night we were there, and the food was happily, a pleasant surprise. One dish offered on their small plates menu was Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sausage. Though it may sound like a simple dish, when cooked properly, roasted Brussels sprouts are delicious, and having the fat and juices from the sausage cook along with the sprouts just brings them up to a new level. I prepare roasted sprouts on a weekly basis in my house, so I just cooked them as I usually do, but added some crumbled sausage meat removed from the casings, as well as some thinly sliced garlic. This dish is so tasty, I could easily enjoy it as a main course!
Deborah Mele 2013
- 1 1/2 Pounds Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Italian Sausage Links, Meat Removed From Casings & Broken Into Small Pieces
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Thinly Sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts, pull off any discolored outer leaves, then cut in half.
- Mix the sprouts in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the sprouts onto a baking sheet pan lined with foil.
- Use your fingers to break up the sausage meat around and on top of the sprouts.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then stir and turn the sprouts over.
- Cook another 10 minutes, then add the garlic and stir.
- Continue to cook, until crisp and golden on the outside and tender on the inside, about another 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 32mg Sodium: 576mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 13g