I posted about my recent addiction to kale last week, and it is still going strong. We will be returning to Umbria, Italy in just a couple of weeks and I know that kale will not be readily available in my farmers markets until fall so I am enjoying it while I can. I decided this week to create a simple kale and sausage sauté for dinner one night and it was both filling and delicious so I know I will be making it again. I included some chopped sun dried Bella Sun Luci Tomatoes along with the kale which really added a vibrant, bright flavor to the dish. My family likes things spicy, so I chose to use hot Italian sausage, but you could certainly use mild sausages if you prefer, or even Italian turkey sausages if you are interested in keeping this dish on the lighter side.
You can buy a number of varieties of kale, but if it is available, I prefer Tuscan kale (Lacinato), or the purple veined Red Russian variety. Both of these types of kale are a little sweeter in flavor and can be enjoyed raw as well as cooked. When buying kale, look for dark colored leaves free of blemishes or discolorations, and avoid any bunches that are wilted or limp. I like to trim the kale by removing the thicker, tough center vein with a sharp knife.
Deborah Mele 2013
Kale With Sausage & Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Spicy Italian Sausage Links, Meat Removed From Casing (About 6 Ounces)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Bella San Luci Chopped Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 2 Bunches Kale (See Notes), Trimmed, Washed, & Chopped
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- In a large pan, heat the olive over medium high heat and cook the sausage , stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sun dried tomatoes and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, mixing well.
- Remove the sausage mixture to a plate until needed.
- Add half the kale to the pan, and once it has wilted, add the other half.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, reduce heat to medium low; cover, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover, and cook until there is no more liquid.
- Add the sausage mixture to the pan and mix well.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.