In North America, flatbreads have become very popular and are appearing on many restaurant menus as appetizers. These flatbreads consist of a very thin pizza crust, and can be topped with just about any combination of flavorful ingredients.
Although we do make traditional pizza often in our house, I do like throwing together these flatbreads when entertaining as they are a great finger food for folks to enjoy with a glass of wine at parties. A couple of slices of these flatbreads are also great enjoyed at lunch with a nice mixed salad
For this version, I included some sautéed spinach, diced poached chicken, cherry tomatoes and two cheeses. I combined fresh mozzarella with some taleggio cheese which is my favorite Italian cheese. You can top flatbreads with any combination of ingredients that you enjoy, however it is usually best to keep the number of ingredients down to just a few.
You do not need a pizza stone for these flatbreads as they are placed on baking sheets, but do preheat your oven before baking. It is best to have your dough at room temperature before you roll it, as if it is too cold it will retract and be much harder to roll out thin.
- 1 Pound Pizza Dough (Homemade or Store Bought)
- Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- 8 Ounces Fresh Mozzarella Torn Into Pieces
- 4 Ounces Diced Taleggio Cheese
- 1 (6 Ounce) Cooked Chicken Breast, Cut Into 1-inch Dice
- 2 Cups Sautéed Spinach, Squeezed Dry
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. and cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two equal balls.
- On a lightly floured counter or bread board, roll one of the dough balls into an oval about 16 x 8 inches, then place on the parchment paper lined tray.
- Roll out the second ball in the same fashion.
- Lightly brush the tops of both flatbreads with the olive oil, then scatter the cheese across the tops of each one.
- Distribute the spinach, chicken, and tomatoes equally between each flatbread, and then season with some red pepper flakes and sea salt.
- Bake the flatbreads for about 20 minutes, or until they are bubbly and browned.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then use a pizza wheel to slice into 8 to 10 pieces.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 14g