One reason that I love serving pasta for dinner is that I can prepare a quick and easy pasta sauce in mere minutes. It is amazing to me that there is an unlimited number of pasta sauces that can be made from start to finish in the time it takes to boil the water and cook your pasta, or under thirty minutes or less. All you need are fresh, seasonal ingredients and imagination. This sauce was created recently when I made some homemade strozzapreti and wanted an easy, chunky sauce. I pulled some Umbrian sausage links from the freezer in the morning and pulled this sauce together just before I cooked my pasta.
This sauce can be made as spicy as you’d like, and you can increase or decrease the amount of cream depending on your taste. This sauce works well with a variety of pasta shapes including dried short pasta like rigatoni or penne, long dried pasta such as spaghetti, or even fresh pasta. The heat of the chili pepper does get softened with the addition of the cream, so add a little extra if you like it spicy!
Deborah Mele 2015
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage Links (Mild or Spicy), Casings Removed
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 (14 Ounce) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Finely Chopped Hot Chili Pepper (Optional - See Notes Above)
- 3/4 to 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 6 Tablespoons Chopped Parsley Leaves
- Pasta of Choice (See Notes Above)
- Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and sauté until golden brown and cooked through, breaking up with two forks as it cooks, about 7 minutes.
- Drain any excess drippings from skillet, the add wine and boil over high heat until almost all liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well.
- Season with oregano, salt, pepper and hot pepper if using.
- Simmer 5 minutes, then add the cream and parsley, and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Use to top hot cooked pasta.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 788 Total Fat: 60g Saturated Fat: 26g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 36g Cholesterol: 132mg Sodium: 946mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 27g