This confetti salad can also be called an Italian chopped salad, or even a kitchen sink salad because so many ingredients come together to make the perfect salad. I have always enjoyed big, main dish salads chock full of ingredients. These salads have to have lots of flavors, color and crunch, and my salads change from season to season depending on what I find fresh at our local farmer’s market. This salad is a wonderful salad to serve alongside a bowl of soup, to serve on a warm summer day, or to pack for a picnic.
This salad can be adapted from season to season, and you can vary the ingredients depending on what you prefer. I recently made this salad using up ingredients I had in my refrigerator after entertaining friends. I used typical salad ingredients such as romaine lettuce, red cabbage, sweet pepper strips, chopped green onions, cucumbers. To this, I added canned chickpeas, marinated artichoke hearts, slivered sun-dried tomatoes, and sliced salami and provolone cheese. To create the best-chopped salad, everything should be cut about the same size. Because of the salami and cheese included in this salad, it needs a red wine vinegar dressing to pull everything together.
Deborah Mele 2016
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce, Cut Into Thin Strips
- 1/3 Head Red Cabbage (or Radicchio), Cut Into Thin Strips
- 5 Green Onions, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Peppers, Cored, Seeded And Cut Into Thin Strips
- 1 Small Jar Marinated Artichoke Hearts, Drained
- 5 Oil Packed Sun-dried Tomatoes, Cut Into Slivers
- 1 (14 Ounce) Can Chickpeas, Drained & Rinsed
- 4 Ounces Young Pecorino or Provolone Dolce Cheese, Cut Into Small Dice
- 4 Ounces Of Italian Salami, Cut Into Thin Strips
- 3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Italian Seasoning
- Place the lettuce, cabbage, onion, peppers, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas, cheese, and salami in a large serving bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, then pour over the salad.
- Toss the salad and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 987mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 19g