This is a very easy, traditional Italian cheesecake made with ricotta cheese that I first posted to this blog back in 2002. Apparently this recipe got lost when I moved to my new blog format years ago because I just recently realized it was no longer on the blog. I had two different people email me just before Easter this year asking about this recipe, and why I removed it from Italian Food Forever. They both stated that it was their favorite Italian cheesecake recipe and asked if I would email it to them. Remembering exactly what recipe they were looking for, I checked the blog and was surprised to see that it was in fact no longer posted there! Unfortunately, every time I update my blog and change designs, it often requires changes in recipes, especially images. Although I tried my best to take new, larger photos of most of my best recipes for the latest blog design, some got missed, like this tasty cheesecake recipe.
This recipe uses just ricotta cheese, no cream cheese, sugar, eggs, lemon, and a little flour. It is very easy to make, and you end up with a very moist, tender cheesecake that has a subtle lemon flavor that pairs perfectly with a blueberry sauce. I was very happy that I had an excuse to make this cake again, and am even happier to be able to share it with you!
Deborah Mele 2016
Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake With Blueberry Sauce
- 2 Pounds Ricotta Cheese
- 2/3 Cup White Sugar
- 1/3 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 6 Eggs
- Zest From 1 Lemon
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 3 Cups Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 inch springform pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the ricotta cheese with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Beat in the sugar and flour until blended, then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the lemon zest and extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the center is just about set, about an hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. (The cheesecake will sink as it cools!)
- While the cheesecake is baking, place the berries, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the sauce has thickened, stirring often.
- Set the sauce aside until needed.
- Serve the cheesecake in slices with a spoonful of the sauce on top.