Cast iron skillets have once again become a popular kitchen utensil, and I thoroughly enjoy using mine for both savory and sweet recipes. This recipe combines chicken pieces along with Italian sausages, potatoes and onions cooked together in the skillet. This dish is a great option for busy family mid-week meals, because you simply through the ingredients together in an oven-proof skillet, and pop it into a preheated oven for a little less than an hour. It is a complete meal, and you can vary the recipe easily, depending on what you have available or your ingredient preferences. I seasoned my skillet dinner with sprigs of fresh rosemary, dried oregano, and briny Kalamata olives. You could also add cut up sweet peppers, capers, lemon slices, or wedges.
You can use whatever cut of chicken you prefer, though I prefer chicken thighs because I find that they are both moist and full of flavor. For this recipe, I had boneless, skinless chicken thighs on hand, so I simply rolled them up to fit them into the skillet easily. If you are using large chicken breasts, I’d suggest cutting them in half so everything can cook properly.
Ready For The Oven
Ingredients Arranged In The Skillet Ready To Be Cooked
One Hour Later, Dinner Is Ready
Deborah Mele 2016
Skillet Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, & Sausages
For The Chicken & Marinade:
- 4 Large Chicken Thighs (See Notes Above)
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Smashed
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregao
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Sausage Links, Either Spicy or Mild, Cut In Half
- 4 Medium Sized Potatoes, Cut Into Quarters
- 2 Medium Onions, Peeled & Cut Into Quarters
- 1 1/2 Cup Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 4 (2-inch) Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 3/4 Cup Pitted Kalamata Olives
- Place the marinade ingredients into a shallow dish, and whisk together.
- Add the chicken to the dish, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or up to 24 hours, turning over halfway.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dump the chicken and marinade into a large cast iron skillet (or other oven-proof skillet).
- Arrange the sausages, potatoes, onions, tomatoes in the skillet around the chicken.
- Season the ingredients well with salt and pepper, then drizzle the wine on top.
- Arrange the rosemary sprigs and olives, then bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the skillet, and turn the ingredients over, then bake for another 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the chicken and other ingredients on a platter, and spoon the juices on top.
If you want to brown the ingredients further, you can place them under the broiler for a few minutes, and if you’d like to thicken the “sauce”, simply remove the skillet ingredients to a heated platter, and boil the liquids on the stovetop until reduced and thickened.