I use a lot of garlic in my kitchen, and in fact, I used to take garlic pills daily as well, but I have never made garlic soup until now. I looked at some recipes online and decided to create my own using a combination of roasted and raw garlic that I gently sautéed. Along with the garlic, I added onions for flavor and even more healing properties, and potatoes which I used as a healthy thickener. I had some homemade chicken broth in my freezer that I thawed out to use, but if you do not have homemade stock, buy a good quality organic variety. After everything was cooked, I cooled the soup to room temperature, then pureed it until very smooth and creamy in my Vitamix blender. I served my soup garnished with some homemade whole wheat croutons and some bacon bits and thoroughly enjoyed every single spoonful. The soup was rich and smooth and full of flavor. Although the roasting of the garlic creates a sweeter garlic flavor, this soup still tastes of garlic, so garlic haters beware. I love the taste of garlic, so I thoroughly enjoyed this soup and will certainly make this soup again. I can’t wait to try making it with fresh garlic picked from our garden when we get to Umbria next month. The oil used for roasting the garlic is discarded, so do reserve it for another use as it is delicious. The oil would be great brushed on grilled crusty bread to serve alongside the soup!
Deborah Mele 2017
- 40 Cloves Of Garlic, Peeled
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil, Divided
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1 Medium Potato, Peeled & Chopped
- 4 Cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Place two tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place 30 garlic cloves in a small oven-proof casserole along with the remaining olive oil.
- Cover with foil, and roast the garlic for 35 to 40 minutes or until soft and brown.
- While the garlic is roasting, coarsely chop the remaining garlic cloves and add to the saucepan along with the onions and potatoes.
- Cook the garlic and onion mixture over medium heat until the vegetables soften and begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool to room temperature.
- Once the garlic has roasted to a light golden brown, use a spoon to remove it from the oil and place in the saucepan.
- Reserve the garlic oil for another use.
- Puree the soup in batches until thick and smooth, then return to the saucepan.
- Reheat the soup, then add the lemon juice.
- Serve, topped with your garnish of choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 1062mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 3g Protein: 4g