Although we try to eat more plant based meals than ones with meat, from time to time I like to add some meat into our weekly meal plans. Pork tenderloina was recently on sale at my local grocery store, so I picked up a couple of them. I love to prepare pork tenderloin because it is a very lean meat, one loin is just the right size for my husband and myself to enjoy for a couple of meals, and it is relatively inexpensive.
The preparation of this pork dish is short, and the meat cooks in just thirty-five minutes. Wrapping the loin with bacon ensures that the meat remains moist and tender. The mustard and brown sugar glaze help the bacon adhere to the meat and add a subtle sweetness. Although you could serve the tenderloin on its own, I like to prepare a quick apple and onion relish that has just a little spice.
Deborah Mele 2017
Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin With Apple Onion Relish
Wrapping a pork tenderloin with bacon keeps the meat very moist and tender.
- 1 (1.5 Pound) Pork Tenderloin
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Black Pepper
- 6 Thin Slices Bacon
Apple Onion Relish:
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 Apples, Peeled, Cored, & Finely Chopped
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1/2 Finely Chopped Jalapeno
- 1 Teaspoon Grated Fresh Ginger
- 2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and line a roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- Cut the silver skin from the tenderloin, and trim of all extra fat.
- Rub the mustard over the loin, then sprinkle with the brown sugar, paprika, and black pepper.
- Starting at one end, wrap the bacon around the loin, overlapping each slice enough to completely cover.
- Roast the loin for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the center registers 155 degrees F.
- Cover the loin with foil and let it rest 10 minutes.
- While the loin is roasting, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and then add the onion and apple.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onions and apples are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the relish ingredients and continue to cook the relish until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spoon the relish into a small bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Once the tenderloin has rested, cut into 3/4 inch slices and serve with the apple relish.