I have fallen in love with the brightly colored mini sweet peppers that are now readily available in grocery stores. I buy a bag of them every week, and use them in salads, pasta dishes, and stuffed as an appetizer. You can stuff these little gems with just about any of your favorite vegetable stuffing mixes, but one of my favorite ways to stuff them is with just cheese. I use a combination of goat cheese and mozzarella, and the mixture of these two kinds of cheese melted inside roasted sweet peppers is fantastic. Because these peppers are so small, they do not have many seeds inside, so it isn’t even necessary to remove the seeds before roasting them. These stuffed peppers would be a welcome addition to a buffet table or a traditional Italian antipasti tray.
Deborah Mele 2017
Cheese Stuffed Roasted Mini Peppers
- 1 Pound Sweet Mini Peppers (About 12)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 (3 Ounce Log Soft Goat Cheese – Herb Flavor or Plain)
- 1/4 Cup Small Cubed Mozzarella (or Mozzarella Pearls)
- Medium Sized Fresh Basil Leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, toss the peppers with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the peppers onto the baking sheet, and roast for 10 to 12 minutes or until the peppers are soft and starting to brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Use a sharp knife and cut a slit into the side of each peppers.
- Pinch a piece of the goat cheese and slip it inside of each pepper.
- Add a couple of small cubes of mozzarella into each pepper, followed by one fresh basil leaf.
- Place the peppers back onto the tray cut side up and return to the oven and roast about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm.