One aspect I love about living in Italy is that the produce is so seasonal. As one season passes on to the next, a new selection of fruits and vegetables start to appear in the local outdoor markets and grocery stores. When we returned from Sardinia last week, I was so happy to find Brussels sprouts and pumpkin in our stores, along with an excellent selection of winter greens. When we are in North America, we eat a lot of Brussels sprouts, and they are available year round. In Italy, you just are not going to find them being sold during the spring or summer so we must wait for fall for them to be sold.
Although I think I’ve tried just about every method possible to prepare Brussels sprouts, I have to say that our favorite way to cook them is by roasting them. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of any vegetable, sprouts included. September is harvest season here in Italy, so there are a variety of grapes being sold in the stores. I recently picked up some seedless grapes along with my first sprouts of the season and decided to roast them together. I’ve paired Brussels sprouts with apples before, so why not grapes? This combination was delicious and is definately going on my Thanksgiving menu this year. The sweetness of the grapes enhanced the flavor of the sprouts, and the addition of walnuts added a little texture, which is just what was needed.
Deborah Mele 2017
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels Sprouts, Trimmed & Halved
- 1 Pound Seedless Grapes, Stems Discarded
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 2 Teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup Lightly Toasted Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss the oil with the sprouts, grapes, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then stir, and continue to cook until the sprouts are fork tender, about another 10 minutes or so.
- Toss the mixture with the vinegar and walnuts, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 76mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 14g Protein: 6g