I would love to fully embrace a plant-based diet, but unfortunately, I am just not ready to give up eggs, seafood and poultry entirely at this time. I do however try to plan vegetarian meals at least half the week, so I am working my way there. Since I keep primarily an Italian kitchen, there are many, many meatless meals that I can make every day including an option of pasta dishes, pizza, hearty soups and stews, grain-based dishes, and of course vegetable entrees like this one. Since I keep chickens in Italy and hope to do so as well here in North America soon, I will always include eggs in my diet. Adding eggs to any vegetable based dish adds essential protein, and just makes it feel more complete.
This dish is one I make often as it can be thrown together quickly, and you can use vegetables that you have on hand. I included cherry tomatoes, eggplant, and roasted peppers, but you could also add in some zucchini and onions if you prefer. The vegetables break down and soften as they cook, creating a tasty sauce, and the eggs are added at the end to bake just a few minutes producing perfect runny yolks. I serve this dish with lots of whole grain bread to sop up the sauce and egg yolk, along with a crisp green salad to complete the meal. This is a great meal to add into your weekly lineup when you need to prepare something quickly on busy weeknights, and is a perfect meatless Monday option.
Deborah Mele 2017
Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables With Eggs
- 3 Cups Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Peeled & Chopped Eggplant (Cut Into 1/2-inch Pieces)
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Red & 1 Yellow Roasted Pepper or 1 (6 Ounce) Jar, Cut Into Strips
- 2 Tablespoons Capers
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Kalamata Olives
- 4 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Large Eggs At Room Temperature
- Lots Of Grilled Sliced Italian Bread
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- In a shallow oven-proof casserole dish, toss together everything but the eggs.
- Roast until the vegetables have softened and are beginning to break down, abut 20 to 25 minutes.
- Make four shallow pockets into the vegetables and break an egg into each.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper, and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Let the dish sit for 3 to 4 minutes, then serve with slices of bread.