Einkorn is a type of farro, rich in protein, phosphorus, vitamin B6, potassium, antioxidants and amino acids. It contains natural carotenoids that are commonly found in vegetables. Einkorn has a low gluten content which allows many folks with gluten sensitivity to enjoy it. It does contain some simple gluten however, so it isn’t suitable for people with celiac disease. I have been trying to use more whole grains in my baking but wasn’t familiar with einkorn flour until recently. I started using both whole grain and all-purpose einkorn flour for about six months now, and I really enjoy it. If you cannot find this unique flour, feel free to substitute whole wheat pastry flour, white spelt flour, or even all-purpose flour.
We have been living in the new house for a couple of weeks now, and I finally got around to doing some baking and to try out my new Miele oven. The essentials have been unpacked and organized, and my kitchen is pretty well ready to start cooking up some delicious meals! I have been feeling guilty about not having anything homemade to offer to my grandkids who are always dropping by, so I pulled out the ingredients and created this moist, tender apple treat using einkorn flour. I love anything that contains apples and cinnamon so I knew that these bars would be tasty. I used coconut oil in place of butter and replaced white sugar with coconut palm sugar. I also used a mixture of green and red apples for flavor. This recipe makes a nice big pan (9 x 13 inch) full, so I like to freeze half the container after they have thoroughly cooled to enjoy later. These bars are very moist with just enough batter to hold the apples together and are fragrant with cinnamon. The batter is rather thick so do not be concerned, the bars will still turn out tender and moist.
Deborah Mele 2018
- 3/4 Cup Melted Coconut Oil or Butter
- 2 Cups Coconut Palm Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs At Room Temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 Cups Einkorn Flour (See Notes Above)
- 3 Cups Chopped Peeled Apples
- 1/3 Cup Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with baking spray.
- In a medium large bowl, beat together the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla with an electric hand mixer at medium speed until blended.
- Stir together the cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and flour in another bowl, then dump the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and then beat on low just until mixed.
- Add the apples and stir to mix well.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients together, then spoon over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely, cut into bars and enjoy!