Grilling any vegetable seems to really enhace it’s flavor, and in this recipe the eggplant is no exception. This recipe is a great side dish, light lunch salad, or even a tasty addition to an antipasti platter. If you cannot find the small, Italian eggplants used in this recipe, just look for the smallest ones you can find at your green grocer. I have made this salad both on an outdoor grill, as well as on my stove top grill with equally good results.
This is one of my favorite recipes to make when eggplants and tomatoes are growing overnight in my garden during the heat of summer. For best results use ripe tomatoes, firm, unblemished eggplants, and good quality balsamic vinegar and olive oil. You can also add some chopped green onion and/or capers in this salad as well.
Deborah Mele 2018
- 6 Small, Firm Eggplants (About 4-5 Inches In Length)
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 1/2 Cups Ripe Cherry Or Grape Tomatoes Cut In Half
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped, Fresh Herb Of Choice (I used Basil and Mint In The Photo)
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- Slice the eggplants into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Heat up the grill and brush it lightly with a little of the olive oil.
- Lay the eggplant rounds on the grill, and brush the tops lightly with olive oil.
- Grill about 4 minutes on each side, or until they are soft and golden brown.
- Remove the cooked eggplant to a serving platter, and continue cooking until they are all completely cooked.
- Chop the eggplant into 2 inch pieces.
- Spread over the eggplants, the cherry tomatoes, garlic, and herbs.
- Mix the remaining oil with the balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle over the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, and mix the mixture lightly, being careful not to break up the eggplant.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 86mg Carbohydrates: 68g Fiber: 18g Sugar: 29g Protein: 6g