I think most cooks have a preference of either baking sweets or preparing savory dishes in the kitchen. I have never considered myself a baker as baking requires precise measurements and often takes a great deal of time. I love cooking in either of my kitchens, but I prefer making things that do not require careful measuring. I like to taste and add ingredients as I cook, and often do not even measure unless I am preparing a new recipe for the blog.
There are times when I feel like I have to bake here in Italy whether it is for the Italian workers that come to deal with some household problem or another, or for our farmhouse rental guests. When it comes to baking, I prefer things that are rustic, quick to pull together, and are not too sweet. If I am going to bake a cake, I prefer one that I can slice and enjoy with my morning coffee as well as serve to guests with a dollop of whipped cream for dessert. This cake is studded with chopped pears and includes yogurt creating a very moist, not too sweet cake. My Mother-in-law used to bake her cakes in a ring pan, and so I thought I’d honor her by baking this cake in a ring pan which adds to its rustic look. Although you could drizzle this cake with a glaze, either chocolate or vanilla flavored, we enjoyed it simply dusted with powdered sugar.
Deborah Mele 2018
- 2 Large, Ripe Pears, Peeled, Cored, & Diced
- 1 1/4 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Dark Cocoa
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/3 Cup Unflavored Greek Yogurt
- 2 Large Eggs at Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch ring pan.
- In one bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, using an electric hand mixer on low speed beat together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and olive oil until well mixed.
- Dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the other bowl and mix on low just until combined.
- Stir in the diced pears and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake about 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- Cool 10 minutes then remove the cake from the pan and continue to cool on a wire rack.
- Once completely cool dust with powdered sugar then enjoy!