Vegetable Soup With Eggs & Cheese
If you have visited this blog before, you’ll know I am a big fan of healthy soups, as well as vegetables of any description. I saw this soup on a restaurant menu when we were back in Italy and it was called Minestra di Vedure con Stracciatella. Intrigued, I had to give it a try, and loved how the addition of eggs and cheese enriched a simple vegetable soup, adding both flavor and texture. I recently tried my hand at recreating this soup at home, and loved how it turned out.
This is such a simple, quick soup to make, yet with the addition of the egg mixture it is hearty enough to become a main dish option. I kept my soup simple, using just onions, garlic, carrots, celery, fennel, squash, and kale, but the addition of dried cooked beans such as borlotti or cannellini would be great, and you really could use any of your favorite vegetables. Whatever vegetables you choose to use, simply cut them into similar sized pieces. I used kale from my local farmer’s market as I seem to be on a “kale kick” lately and find I am adding it to just about everything I can get away with but you could substitute swiss chard, mustard greens, or even spinach. If I was serving this soup as an entree, I’d place a nice, crusty, grilled piece of country bread on the bottom of the bowl, and then ladle the soup on top of it.
Deborah Mele 2011
Vegetable Soup With Eggs And Cheese
A mixture of egg and cheeses enriches a basic vegetable soup.
- 2 Large Carrots, Peeled & Cut Into Large Dice (3/4 Inch Pieces)
- 3 Celery Stalks, Cut Into Large Dice
- 1 Fresh Fennel Bulb, Top Trimmed, Core Removed & Cut Into Dice
- 1 Medium/Large Onion, Peeled, Cut Into Large Dice
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- 1 Small/Medium Butternut Squash, Peeled, Seeds Removed, And Cut Into Large Dice
- 1 Bunch Kale, Large Stems Removed And Cut Into Thin Pieces
- Vegetable Both (About 2 Liters)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Grated Pecorino or Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Additional Grated Cheese Of Choice
- In a large stock pot heat the oil, and then cook the onions until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, celery, fennel, squash, dried oregano and kale and stir to mix.
- Add enough of the broth to cover the vegetables by one inch.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook just until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, cheese and parsley, and then whisk this mixture into the stock pot.
- Continue to whisk to blend without allowing the eggs to coagulate too much.
- Serve warm in individual bowls, offering additional grated cheese at the table.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g