Bruschetta With White Beans
Bruschetta lends itself to an unlimited number of toppings, and this combination of white beans and prosciutto is delicious. Use a good quality brand of imported canned beans to simplify the recipe.
Cannellini are often the bean of choice used in Tuscan cooking — most notably in Fagioli all’Uccelletto, where boiled cannellini beans are sauted in olive oil, sage and tomatoes, the way small birds (uccelli) are prepared in this part of Italy. They are however, also eaten throughout Italy, and many regions have their own traditional recipes for dried beans. Cannellini beans are high in protein as well as a good source of iron, magnesium and folate.
Deborah Mele 2011
Bruschetta With White Bean Puree
Bruschetta lends itself to an unlimited number of toppings, and this combination of white beans and prosciutto is delicious.
- 2 Cups Cooked Cannellini Beans Or 1 (16 oz.) Cans Good Quality Cannellini Beans, Drained
- 6 Slices Prosciutto, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Onion, Minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced, Plus One Peeled And Left Whole
- Salt & Pepper
- Dash Of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Parsley
- 8 Slices, Good Quality Italian Bread
- Black Olive Tapenade Or Strips Of Roasted Sweet Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In frying pan, cook the prosciutto until it has browned.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and cook the onions until translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and an additional 4 tablespoons olive oil and mix.
- Cook for a minute or two to heat through, and then using a fork, lightly mash the beans.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped parsley.
- If the mixture seems dry, add a little more olive oil, or water.
- Grill or broil the bread slices until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Pierce the whole garlic clove with a fork, and rub the clove over one side of each of the bread slices.
- Spread the garlic rubbed side of each bread slice with some of the bean mixture.
- Top with either a dollop of live tapenade or pepper strips and lightly drizzle with a little more olive oil and serve.