A pizza without tomato sauce, this recipe is delicious, topped only with ripe, fresh tomatoes, prosciutto and peppery arugula. The pizza dough is cooked with just a light brushing of olive oil and the toppings are added just before serving. We pass some spicy olive oil to drizzle on top to those who want it. Shaved Parmesan cheese is another topping often found on this pizza but we prefer it simply with the tomatoes, arugula and prosciutto.
We love to make a spicy oil to drizzle across our pizza after it comes out of the oven. We like to use hot oil that we have made by soaking red pepper flakes in a good quality olive oil for a week or more. It adds just an extra “bite” to the pizza!
Deborah Mele 2011
- 4 Individual Pizza Dough Balls - At Room Temperature
- Olive Oil For Brushing Dough Before Cooking
- 4 Large Ripe Tomatoes, Thinly Sliced
- 6 Cups Fresh, Washed Arugula
- 16 Thin Slices Prosciutto
- Spicy Olive Oil For Drizzling (Optional)
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F. and place a pizza stone in the oven to heat.
- Lightly flour a counter or bread board and using your fingertips, knuckles and heels of your hand push the dough out to a 12 to 13 inch circle.
- Place each pizza round onto a lightly pizza peel lightly dusted with cornmeal, and brush the top of the dough with olive oil.
- Cook the pizza dough until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes, then top with first the tomatoes, the arugula, and finally the prosciutto.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil over each pizza and serve.