This is a great light entre suitable for any time of the year, and I prefer to serve it at room temperatures so the flavors are enhanced. I find very small pasta works best in this recipe and I usually choose tubettini when I prepare this dish. Choose firm, bright colored, thick skinned peppers. You can change this dish by varying the stuffing ingredients. I sometimes like to add chopped black olives and capers, or sauteed mushrooms and/or onions added into the filling are tasty.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 4 Large Bell Peppers of Any Color
- 1 Cup Uncooked Small Pasta
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 16 Ripe Cherry Tomatoes, Quartered
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled and Minced
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Small Diced Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil Finely Chopped
- 6 Tbs. Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the top off of each pepper and carefully scoop out the seeds and membranes.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until very "al dente".
- Drain pasta and run cold water over the pasta to stop the cooking process.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pasta, tomatoes, basil, garlic, two cheeses, olive oil, and seasonings.
- Place the peppers standing up in a baking dish.
- Stuff each pepper with the filling and then place the top back on.
- Bake the peppers for about 35 minutes, or until the peppers start to wrinkle and blister.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 pepper
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 543 Total Fat: 47g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 35g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 369mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 12g