One of my favorite lunches is insalata caprese, or a salad of fresh tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and basil. Unfortunately, it is often difficult to obtain fresh, ripe, good tasting tomatoes during the winter so I came up with this version using roasted tomatoes.
This dish makes a really delicious light lunch, an appetizer, or if arranged on a platter a great addition to any buffet table. You could also serve this salad on top of salad greens lightly dressed with oil and lemon.
- 2 Large Balls Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella (Or Fresh Mozzarella)
- 12 Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/8 Cup Pesto Sauce
- 1/8 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil Cured Olives
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cut the mozzarella into wedges.
- Slice each of the roasted tomates in half.
- Arrange the mozzarella and tomatoes on 4 individual plates as shown in the photo.
- Mix together the olive oil and pesto in a bowl and drizzle this mixture over each plate.
- Garnish with the olives and basil leaves and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g