A basic white sauce with many uses in an Italian kitchen. Use as a base for other ingredients, or layer with tomato sauce in a baked pasta dish. By adding ingredients such as grated cheese or pesto to a simple bechamel sauce you can use it on almost anything!
- 5 Tablespoons Of Butter
- 1/4 + 2 Tablespoons Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Milk
- White Pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, and once it is completely melted and bubbling, add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for a minute or two until the flour just begins to take on some color.
- Slowly start adding the milk, whisking continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Continue to simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, stirring often.
- Season with a pinch of salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Set aside until you are ready to use, by pouring the sauce into a glass bowl and covering with a buttered sheet of plastic wrap.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 356mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 13g