This is one of my favorite eggplant recipes. These tasty polpette can be used on an antipasti platter, used in place of a meat entree, or they also make a nice vegetable side dish. I have also had great results precooking these croquettes and just reheating again before serving.
I’ve also put them in the freezer after cooking, thawed them when needed, and then reheated them before a party and they held up very well. You can use your own favorite sauce recipe to drizzle across the top before serving, or use my quick, light sauce recipe included. If desired, you could first roll the eggplant croquets in egg and then the bread crumbs which will give a much crisper crust.
- 2 Medium Large Eggplant
- 2 Slices of Stale bread Made Into Crumbs
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 Cup Parsley, Finely Chopped
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs For Coating
- Oil for Frying
- 1 (16oz) Can Chopped Italian Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive OilSalt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley or Basil
- Bake the eggplant in a 375 degree F. oven for 45 minutes or until tender when pricked with a fork.
- Cool, then remove skin and place the pulp in a food processor.
- Add the bread crumbs made from the stale bread, garlic, parsley, cheese and pulse.
- Taste and add salt & pepper.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Roll into small log shapes about 3 inches long, then roll in the remaining bread crumbs. (If you find the mixture is still too wet, add more bread crumbs as needed.)
- When all the polpette are made, fry them in 375 degree oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in the oven until serving if desired.
- Do not add the sauce until just before serving, or the polpette will become soggy.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the garlic and once sizzling add the tomatoes, parsley, and seasoning.
- Cook for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Drizzle over the croquets just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 croquettes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 464mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 9g