A cross between a thick crust pizza, and a pizza flavored flatbread, you’ll want to make this recipe again and again. Making this pizza bread is so easy, you will be surprised it tastes so good. I suggest serving it both warm and at room temperature, whichever you prefer. It would also be a great idea to take along on a picnic!
- 1 Pkg. Active Dry Yeast
- 3/4 Cup Warm Water
- 3 Cups All-purpose, Unbleached Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Canned Chopped Tomatoes
- Large Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cloves Garlic, Minced
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water, and let sit 10 minutes until bubbly.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, teaspoon of salt, yeast mixture and remaining water.
- Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon and then your hands.
- Transfer to a floured work surface and knead by hand for a few minutes or until smooth.
- Place in a well oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough and place on an oiled 9 inch cake pan.
- Drain the chopped tomatoes in a strainer to remove some of the juice.
- Spread the tomatoes across the surface of the dough, then sprinkle with the garlic and shredded basil leaves.
- Dimple the top surface with your finger tips, and then drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.