Roasting any vegetable causing a caramelization process that bring out their sweetness. When I can buy small beets at a good price I love to buy a bunch, roast them and then keep them in my refrigerator to use as a delicious side dish. I used a mix of golden and red beets in this recipe which is particularly pretty, but all red beets would work just fine.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 Pound Small Mixed Color Beets
- 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Mint (or Parsley)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the beets, and cut off the tops.
- Place the beets on a large sheet of aluminum foil, and close it up to create a package.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake until fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Peel the beets, and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place the beets in a serving dish and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Toss to coat then sprinkle with the chopped fresh mint.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g