Cozze ~ Simple, yet delicious, this recipe is so easy it is hard to believe it tastes so good! You can also use the tomato saffron base for clams, or a mix of clams and mussels. To ensure the best result, use the freshest mussels you can find. To clean, scrub under running water removing the “beards” or vegetation attached.
Keep the mussels in a bowl in the fridge in a little water until you are ready to use them. Don’t leave them in a closed plastic bag or they will die before you have a chance to cook them. You can serve this dish on grilled garlic bread, spooning the juices over the bread in a shallow bowl, or serve with a good crusty bread on the side.
- 3 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Saffron Threads
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 (28 oz.) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 3 Pounds Mussels, Scrubbed with Beards Removed
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook 5-10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the wine and saffron, and cook an additional 10 minutes for the flavors to meld.
- Add the cleaned, drained mussels, cover, and cook until the shells open, which should be about 5 additional minutes.
- Add the parsley just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/2 pound
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 894mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 55g