This hearty recipe uses sweet onions that are slowly caramelized and then added to an intense beef broth flavored with wine. An Italian version of French Onion Soup!
- 5 Sweet Medium Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Flour
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 3-4 Cups Rich Beef Broth
- Salt & Pepper
- 4-6 Slices Day Old Crusty Italian Bread
- 4-6 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan and add the onions.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until they are soft and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Add the wine, and reduce by half.
- Add the broth and cook for about 20 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon into individual ovenproof bowls, and top each with a slice of bread topped with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Place under the broiler until golden and bubbly.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 2111mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g