This hearty recipe uses sweet onions that are slowly caramelized and then added to an intense beef broth flavored with wine. An Italian version of French Onion Soup!
Deborah Mele 2011
- 5 Sweet Medium Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Flour
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 3-4 Cups Rich Beef Broth
- Salt & Pepper
- 4-6 Slices Day Old Crusty Italian Bread
- 4-6 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan and add the onions.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until they are soft and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Add the wine, and reduce by half.
- Add the broth and cook for about 20 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon into individual ovenproof bowls, and top each with a slice of bread topped with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Place under the broiler until golden and bubbly.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 2111mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g