Mascarpone cheese makes these cookies very tender, and the fig jam adds a delicious sweetness. These cookies store well for up to two weeks refrigerated, and freeze well for up to two months in an airtight container.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1/2 Cup Or 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Brought To Room Temperature
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Softened Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Fig Jam, Or Jam Of Choice
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light, then add the egg and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Add the mascarpone cheese, and beat until smooth.
- Sift together the dry ingredients, and fold them into the butter mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place sheets of parchment paper, or silicone baking liners on two cookie pans.
- On a lightly floured counter or board, roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Using a blunt round object like the end of a wooden spoon, create an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or just as the cookies begin to color.
- While still warm, use the spoon to open up the circle, and then carefully spoon a little jam into each cookie.
- Let sit at room temperature until the jam is set.
- Store in an airtight container.