I LOVE the end of summer when fresh local produce abounds on every street corner market stand here in Toronto. Even the produce departments of our local grocery stores are selling mostly all locally grown fruits and vegetables of every description and color. I find it difficult to stay out of the kitchen when after every walk down the street I find myself being inspired by this seasonal bounty, and I cannot think of a single vegetable I do not like although I do admit to having a few favorites.
If you ask a dozen people what their favorite vegetable is however, very few will say green beans. Unfortunately, beans are often overlooked as people find them bland and boring and apart from blanching or boiling them, they do not know of any interesting ways to prepare them. I love green beans myself, and when my Mother-In-Law recently gave me a huge bag of fresh Roman green beans (also known as pole beans) from her garden I decided to try something a little different with them. I blanched them until they were tender crisp to start, and then tossed them in a deliciously flavored oil mixed with minced garlic, fresh oregano, lemon rind, fresh chopped red chile pepper, sea salt and lots of cracked black pepper. The beans were delicious, and anything but boring and in fact were delicious as leftovers the next day as well.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 Pound Romano Beans, Trimmed And Cut In Half If Long
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Ol
- 2 Cloves Fresh Peeled Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Chopped Oregano
- 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- Dash Sea Salt
- 1/2 Fresh Red Chile Pepper, Minced (Optional)
- 1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Rind
- 2 Tablespoons Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Bring a lot pot of salted water to boil and drop in the beans.
- Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until just tender crisp, then drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil, and add the garlic and cook just until sizzling.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the oil and stir.
- Add the beans back into the pot and toss until they are coated with the flavored oil.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 1934mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g